Easy Ham and Bean Soup
My mom had to feed 6 kids on a very tight budget so that often meant she made the most of the leftover ham bone and made ham and bean soup the next day. It was also a great option for her because she was a single working mom and it’s a recipe that requires minimal effort.
Here go-to method was on the stovetop but I prefer this slow cooker set-and-forget method and I love how the ham comes out so unbelievably tender.
This soup is so comforting and though it only requires a few simple ingredients it has such a satisfying flavor. Just don’t forget a lot of the flavor comes from the ham bone so I don’t recommend using ham without the bone.
Serve it with fresh bread or crackers and you’ve got a perfectly comforting dinner, just like mom or grandma used to make!
- Leftover meatyham bone
- Vegetables –carrots,celery,洋葱和大蒜
- 新鲜的香草 -thyme和parsley
How to Make Ham and Bean Soup in the Crockpot
- Place great northern beans in a large mixing bowl, add enough water to cover by a couple of inches. Let rest overnight.
- The next morning, drain beans then add to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker. Add meaty ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, chicken broth and 2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.
- 盖并在高热量煮至豆嫩，约5 1/2 - 6小时。
- Remove ham and shred.
Yes this soup should freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What If I Don’t Have a Leftover Ham Bone?
How can I Cook Ham and Bean Soup on the Stovetop?
- Saute the veggies for 2 minutes in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
More Delicious Soup Recipes You’ll Love
一个自制，丰盛和美味的汤，可能不容易使！它需要最少的成分和慢炖锅做几乎所有的工作。为忙碌的日子和伟大的方式，一个伟大的配方使用了一个吃剩的火腿骨。Makes about 14 cups.
- 2杯(13 oz)dry great northern beans
- 3杯水，plus more for soaking beans
- 1（3磅）吃剩的肉火腿骨，trimmed of excess visible fat
- 1cupchopped carrots(about 3)
- 1cupchopped celery(about 3)
- 1cup切碎的洋葱黄(1 small)
- 1Tbspminced garlic（3个丁香）
- 1Tbspchopped fresh thyme leaves(or 1 tsp dried)
- 4杯unsalted chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
Place great northern beans in a large mixing bowl, add enough water to cover by a couple of inches. Let rest overnight.
The next morning, drain beans then add to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker. Add meaty ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, chicken broth and 2 cups water. Season with 1 tsp pepper and salt to taste*.
Cover and cook on high heat until beans are tender, about 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 hours.
Remove ham and shred. Discard ham bone and excess fat.
Add shredded ham to slow cooker along with 1 cup water and parsley, stir. Serve warm.
*Remember ham can be on the salty side so I like to season lightly with salt at the beginning then add more at the end after the salts have soaked from the ham into the soup.